Jeff Morris

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

OzOne wrote in message news
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:27:54 -0500, Capt. NealŪ
scribbled thusly:

Please indicate where anything is mentioned about overtaking?

Rule 12
(a) When two sailing vessels are approaching one another. . .

Does that statement not include overtaking?

CN

Not when there is another rule to cover overtaking!

You need to read and understand ALL the rules Cappy, it's the same old
story,

And perhaps you need to go sailing once in a while and try following
the sailing rules and then you will see you will never even have a
chance to use Rule 13.

All you need to do to prove me wrong is describe one situation where,
if two sailboats are both following the sailing rules, rule 13 would
even come into play. You cannot do it and neither can Jeff because the
three sailing rules, if followed, cover it all.

First of all, the issue is not whether Rule 13 is "needed," by some
measure; the rule exists and therefore mus be followed.

However, I'll give you a case where Rule 12 does not cover two
sailboats: Two sailboats A and B are on a beam reach. B is directly
behind A and overtaking. Both are on the same tack, neither is windward
or leeward or the other. Nothing in Rule 12 covers this situation. In
fact, this is the simplest case of where Rule 13 would supersede Rule
12. How could Neal be so stupid as to not see it?