Clams Canino

On most old mercs the carb throttles are totally closed at idle (or should
be) and in fact it is the idle timing that is the final arbiter of idle
speed. Just make sure you don;t screw wiith the max-avance timing or things
could get ugly. Go over to iboats and search for a post I did entitled
"timing and sync" - the search engine there is pretty good.

-W

wrote in message
oups.com...
"There is a set screw on the linkage that goes against a stop to
adjust"

That is what I can not find. I have looked all over and can not find
it. I'm not a boat mechanic by any means but I have worked on auto
engines. There is an arm that goes to the fly wheel that when I move
it back slows it down, but I was thinking that adjusted the timing and
I did not want to set the idle by changing the timing. I did read
somewhere that on that model, that was the only way. Any help would be
great.