Michael Knight

Default Problem starting Evinrude

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
If you can't start your boat engine with the same ease as you can your
car.... batteries are the least of your problems.
The engine should fire within 3 seconds with no hesitation anytime anywhere.
Cold or hot weather should not make a big difference.... neither should the
lack of regular use impede it's ability to fire up on command.

All my engines are serviced seasonally and they will start immediately. I
loaned a friend an 8 hp Merc I had stored in the boat shed for 3 years.....
it started on the first pull. The diesel auxiliary on my 30 ft sailboat
starts without hesitation at a push of the button. It's 10 years old and has
470 hours on it.

Hmm...I'd like to know what magic you pull to get a motor to crank
first hit after years of sitting...unless you are pulling regular
monthly maintenance on it during storage.

In my experience, be it car, lawnmower, boat, or airplane....any
engine that sits unused for a while takes a little longer to start the
first time. Cars that sit for a couple of months take some prep and
then they start resonably easy, but still take longer than just
hopping in your daily vehicle to go to work.

I have a push mower that usually takes several cranks to get it going
the first use of the season. Ditto my riding lawnmower, and I take
great care to store and prep it....even going so far as to try and
crank/run it bi-weekly during the winter and using fresh gas every
time.

Even light aircraft, with air cooled fuel injected engines take a
little coaxing after a couple of weeks of non-use...and believe
me...those things are expertly maintained. They are visually
inspected prior to each and every use, and go through a full test and
inspection every 100 hours. In an airplane, you can't just throw
anchor and wait for help....the engine quits and you are in a world of
hurt.

So yes...I'd say that if you run and crank your boat motor(s) daily,
or even several times a day, then yes....absolutely you should expect
them to start and run about as reliably as your car.

But as most people tend to use their boat once a month or even less,
then they can expect difficults starts the first couple of times.

Just my .02

-Michael