Jeff Morris

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

Most interesting to me is this part:

"when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to
windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is to leeward;"

This says if one sailboat is overtaking another and both have the wind
on the same side, then the sailboat to weather is the give way vessel.

This tells me that the overtaking rule where the overtaken vessel
is always
the stand-on vessel does not apply to sailboats.

Why didn't you continue with the beginning of Rule 13:

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of Part B,
Sections I and II, any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of
the way of the vessel being overtaken.

What part of "Notwithstanding anything contained" do you interpret
as meaning Rule 12 takes priority over Rule 13?

How do you expect anyone to believe that you passed the Master's
exam, when you seem confused by this simple point?

Good point but it is physically impossible for a sailboat to windward to
stay out of the way of another to leeward if the leeward vessel is more
weatherly.

Nonsense. He's approaching from behind. All you're saying is that if
you ignore Rule 13 until its too late, then you might have to take
some extreme action. Long before the windward vessel is "trapped" he
could have borne off and passed to leeward. Or he could have tacked
away.

The windward vessel cannot point higher to avoid the
leeward vessel.

Why can't he tack?

He cannot fall off without creating a close quarters
situation,

Why can't he pass to leeward?

and he cannot speed up or slow down because those things

depend on the speed of the wind.

Why can't he let go of the sheets?

These facts alone negate rule 13
which works well for motor vessels but not for sailing vessels. It is
plain
to me if one follows the sailing rules then rule 13 is superfluous.

Its becoming clear you don't actually know how to sail. Is this why
you didn't bother to get your sailing endorsement, even though it only
involved answering a few easy questions?

Prove me wrong. Give me one situation where the sailing rules don't
cover all eventualities even those in all overtaking situations.

This is a meaningless comment. You're only saying that an alternate
version of the sailing rules could have been invented - one that
doesn't include the overtaking rule. For example, the yacht racing
rules handle overtaking quite differently. However, they are not the
issue here. The Colregs are quite clear the Rule 13 takes priority,
and it is the responsibility of the overtaking vessel to avoid getting
so close that it can't keep clear of the overtaken vessel.

You didn't give me a plausible scenario where if the sailing rules are
adhered to then why is Rule 13 necessary?

I did - all you're saying is that if the rules were written differently
they would still be self-consistent. They might have said Rule 13 does
not have priority over Rule 12, but they didn't.

It is plain to me if the three simple sailing rules are followed then there
is no need for any stupid overtaking rule. The overtaking rule becomes
entirely superfluous.

Perhaps in a different world. There is no reason why the rules always
have to make sense, but they still must be followed. As I said, in
racing the rules are different, but still self-consistent.