Jeff Morris

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

Most interesting to me is this part:

"when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to
windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is to leeward;"

This says if one sailboat is overtaking another and both have the wind
on the same side, then the sailboat to weather is the give way vessel.

This tells me that the overtaking rule where the overtaken vessel is
always
the stand-on vessel does not apply to sailboats.

Why didn't you continue with the beginning of Rule 13:

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of Part B,
Sections I and II, any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of
the way of the vessel being overtaken.

What part of "Notwithstanding anything contained" do you interpret as
meaning Rule 12 takes priority over Rule 13?

How do you expect anyone to believe that you passed the Master's exam,
when you seem confused by this simple point?

Good point but it is physically impossible for a sailboat to windward to
stay out of the way of another to leeward if the leeward vessel is more
weatherly.

Nonsense. He's approaching from behind. All you're saying is that if
you ignore Rule 13 until its too late, then you might have to take some
extreme action. Long before the windward vessel is "trapped" he could
have borne off and passed to leeward. Or he could have tacked away.

The windward vessel cannot point higher to avoid the
leeward vessel.

Why can't he tack?

He cannot fall off without creating a close quarters
situation,

Why can't he pass to leeward?

and he cannot speed up or slow down because those things
depend on the speed of the wind.

Why can't he let go of the sheets?

These facts alone negate rule 13
which works well for motor vessels but not for sailing vessels. It is plain
to me if one follows the sailing rules then rule 13 is superfluous.

Its becoming clear you don't actually know how to sail. Is this why you
didn't bother to get your sailing endorsement, even though it only
involved answering a few easy questions?

Prove me wrong. Give me one situation where the sailing rules don't
cover all eventualities even those in all overtaking situations.

This is a meaningless comment. You're only saying that an alternate
version of the sailing rules could have been invented - one that doesn't
include the overtaking rule. For example, the yacht racing rules handle
overtaking quite differently. However, they are not the issue here.
The Colregs are quite clear the Rule 13 takes priority, and it is the
responsibility of the overtaking vessel to avoid getting so close that
it can't keep clear of the overtaken vessel.