Mike G

In article .com,
says...
I notice the use of "rotten stone". What is it.
Great articles. Will try some of the tips.
Tony
S/V Ambrosia

Rottenstone is a very fine volcanic powder used in rubbing out a finish.
It's usually used as the step after rubbing out with pumice.

Ace hardware carries it and I believe you can get at home stores.

It and mineral oil, acting as a lubricant, on a felt pad of wadded
cotton rag are rubbed on the wood to remove very light scratches and
further refine the surface.

Auto rubbing compound and polishing compound can be used rather then, in
order, pumice and rottenstone. They're not quite as aggressive as pumice
and rotten stone so you have to rub a bit harder but it does make a
suitable substitute.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods