thunder

Default It's STILL the Economy, Stupids...

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:29:58 -0500, Bert Robbins wrote:

Our current governor in Maryland is a Republican. The two previous
elections for governor were extremely close. The former Speaker of the
Maryland House, a Democrat, was left wondering why he lost his seat in the
last election. It was a coattails effect of ensuring the election of a
Republican to the highest office.

Sorry, I wasn't aware the Governor was a Republican, but both your houses
are heavily Democrat by an over two to one margin. Still, I believe it's
the state's type of economy rather than the political party in charge that
makes the unemployment rate low. Virginia also has a low rate, and a
Republican legislature. Looking at the map, with few exceptions, it would
appear the more heavily populated and industrial states have a higher
unemployment rate. Some also have a Republican legislature.

http://www.lioninc.com/lion/unemployment_by_state1

http://www.statescape.com/Resources/...artysplits.asp