John Seager

"Steve" wrote in message
It is common for production boats to have the butt joint of deck ply on

the
deck beams. However, that doesn't mean it is correct. This is because the
grain of the deck beam provides very little strength across the grain. On

deck of single ply, a scarf or ply butt block between deck beams would be
the correct method.

Thanks, that makes good sense. I'm pretty sure that my boat has a single
thickness of ply (around half inch). There seem to be quite a few of these
cracks - small, but enough to create leaks - so I guess I should cut out and
replace the offending pieces. Although I like the elegance of a scarf joint
I don't think my woodworking skills are sufficient to be sure of a good
joint so butt joints seem the obvious way to go but with a butt block, as
you suggest. However, I'm also tempted to think that careful application of
epoxy in the cracks, might be a possible compromise. Sorry if such a
suggestion is heresy to those who believe that wooden boats should be made
of wood!
John.