Bert Robbins

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:08:20 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

I agree with Jeff. Get yourself a real ISP if AOL's serious about that.
[I was an early adopter of AOL; I left when I found a full service ISP.

Absolutely right, AOL is a poor substitute for the real thing. You
may not need to leave them however. There used to be an option in the
AOL logon options where you specify that you want a "Windows Socket"
connection or words to that effect. That would enable you to use AOL
for your EMAIL while actually connecting with something else (like a
high speed cable connection or DSL service). Assuming that you get
that working, you then need an independent newsreader like Free Agent:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

If you are already connecting to AOL with cable or DSL, chance are
that you have everything in place already except for installing a
newsreader.

Just dump AOL altogether. If you have an DSL or cable connection you get
e-mail addresses.