Frank

This guy doesn't know sheet about boats. Newports are awesome boats.
I own a 68 N30. It is rock solid. Catalina is a SheetBox. the keel
is bolted on. no backing plates, under rigged, on and on .
I've owned a cal 27,
catalina 27 and a newport 30 so far and I would take the newport
anywhere I'd take the other ones.
Oh, by the way, this cork smoker recommends Ranger as a boat. Gary
Mull designed Ranger AND Newport boats
Talk to anyone whos owned a newport 30, and you will hear the
accolades.
It may not be an S&S, but for the price, you can NOT beat it - and
their fast as hell. Stay away from the bayliner.

Hmmmn, it looks like *I'm* the cork-smoker who doesn't know ****; so I
guess I'd better reply, even though this is a revival of a year-old
thread.

I believe I said that the Newport line are nice-sailing boats, whether
designed by C&C or Gary Mull, who happens to be one of my favorite
designers. That's exactly why I recommended the Ranger to the OP,
because it's a Mull design but with much (MUCH!) better construction
quality than Newport. If you disagree with me about Newport
construction, well, then, I leave the final decision up to each reader.
Go down to your local marina and look at a Newport. IMO, the poor
quality will be apparent to even the most casual observer.
Frank (off to smoke some more cork)