otnmbrd

Jim Donohue wrote:
So we actually agree? The system was seriously flawed but the Crew should
have caught it anyway as there were multiple and pretty obvious indications
that competent sailors should have caught.

Jim

G To a point. I don't think the system was "seriously" flawed, since
SOP and good training should have caught it, with the system as is/was.
I tend to use "competent" in a stricter sense .... they may well have
been competent mariners, but they sure screwed up.
If I have a beef, it would be (as expected) with simply doubling up on
GPS, especially on approaching Nantucket. Although a 2nd GPS would be
nice (and generally standard), I would still prefer that double checks
would involve different systems..... Radar, Loran, Fathometer,
Visual..... when available.

otn