katysails

Well, you nailed that one about the overweight part...Just tonight on the
national news they're touting a program in Texas to not only grade kids on
their schoolwork but to grade them on their weight. One mother from
Arkansas, where they already do this (her kid was 12 and 100 lbs overweight)
said she was glad for it and wished it had been done sooner so she would
have been aware of the problem...For God's sake, did she never look at her
child and see a problem???? Problem with the smoking thing is that people
will buy into it. It's pure economics and really has nothing to do with
smoking. Health insurance companies are offering smoke-free packages to
corporations that will comply at great discounts. With the cost of health
insurance skyrocketing and double-digit increases every year, companies will
go for this.
"Lonny Bruce" wrote in message
Neal was wrong, once again, when he brought attention to the wacky way
smokers are being treated in Michigan in the Thread "Getting Tough on
Cigeratte Smokers". This is directly due to the fact that Michigan has a
liberal democrat woman governer, who was not even born in the USA. Here
is another result of the liberal attitudes here in Michigan:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/...7362399290.xml

Just to be clear, I am not a smoker, and I don't condone smoking in any
way, however we seem to be going down this slippery slope when it comes to
smokers. I see them as simply a convenient target as a group of peeps not
fit for hiring. Who is next, people that are 20 pounds overweight? Why
not? The same arguements can be made that peeps that are overweight take
too much time off, and add to the overall cost of health care, therefore
no one should hire them. Then who will be next, peeps who are genetically
disposed to certain diseases? Yes, it would take genetic profiling, but
why not? I mean the same arguements could be made that no one should hire
women who's mother has contracted breast cancer, for instance, as there is
a risk that they may contract it too, causing an employers health
insurance claims to go up.

It is a dangerous, slippery slope. And brought to you by the liberal
political party who claims to be for the little guy, the most vulnerable
in society. And apparently improperly supported by Captain Neal.

Lonny Bruce
--
Enjoy my new sailing web site
http://sail247.com