Harry Krause

Default Oil & Plug Opinions

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:24:35 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

That seems logical, but I really wonder about the assumed benefits from
synthetic oil, especially if you are supposed to change it at the same
regular intervals as dino oil. We changed the oil at 10 hours in our
Yamaha and then at 50. Fifty seems a reasonable interval for a gas
engine in pleasure boat service.

The benefits may, actually, be minimal in temperate climates when the
oil is changed very frequently and there are no anomalies in
operation. Extending drain intervals, IMHO, is dependent, entirely,
on superior filtration technologies, which I doubt are available for
outboards....

Interestingly, I haven't really come across a customer service line at
Yamaha similar to the one I called at Mercury. I can't say I've looked
all that hard, but with Merc, it was easy to find. Yamaha doesn't seem
to encourage such connection.

I believe you are correct. However, I *do* remember that obscure
number being posted here a few years back. Maybe somebody will
remember it?

It would be nice. Did we ever have a Yamaha dealer posting here, or did
Lucretia Borgia of Oz chase him off, too? We used to have a couple
dealers and dealer mechanics who were helpful here. I think Grannis is
the only one left.

--
Email sent to is never read.