rhys

There are a whole bunch of guys who've built great boats from kits or
plans all over North America. Some of them are crap, others scrap.
Many will never see the water. But a fair number are very well done,
very well thought out, and (particularly with the metal boats), very
well prepped and coated against corrosion.

The trouble is that such boats frequently get to the 90% finished
stage (like roughed in benches and cabinetry, but with mast bought and
engine running) and the man who lovingly started the job has gotten
too old, sick and/or tired to finish it.

Or too old, sick and/or tired to sail such a bg, heavy boat.

Or his wife and family aren't behind him and want to get rid of the
"white elephant" in the yard in favour of a cute gazebo and an
extended car port.

Want to know my dirty little secret? I will buy one of those boats
for a song before I'm 50, pay some pro to do a custom FUNCTIONAL
interior using just part of the money I saved not buying a brokerage
boat, and we will go cruising in five years, not when I'm 68 and not
keen on getting into a lazarette to find a dropped wrench.

The boat ads are full of them. Most aren't worth finishing; a prime
few are better than 90% of new boats in terms of layout, logical
stowage, access and seaworthiness.

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but if you are a 28 year old
welder, by all means build a boat. You might be finished in 20 years.
It makes more sense in some cases to complete a stranger's "baby" to
perfection than to put in a few thousand hours learning as you go, or
becoming a slave to a dream.

Better to go sailing sooner than later.

My two cents,

R.

On 25 Jan 2005 06:38:59 -0800, "Leonard" wrote:

Tomek,
I have been in the process of building a Roberts 53G. I started from
the bare plans and had to do all the work alone. You won't believe how
hard it is to find people willing to work (a four letter word here in
Arkansas). I was lucky enough to find some latinos who give an honest
days work at a fair price to do the roughing out of the inside
building.

I started in August 1991 and as I said I started from the ground up. I
have a little over 1900 hours with a lot of lost time due to injuries.
This is NOT a cheap operation. At present I have put in just over
$107,000 into it. That includes an engine and many more items that are
required on a boat. If all goes as planed the boat will be in the water
within the next 12 months.

If I had it to do over, I would just but a boat and go sailing.
Good luck,
Leonard