Meindert Sprang

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
The "feel" of helm movements is lost in the high mechanical advantage of
a hydraulic system. It can be rendered further imprecise by factors
such as the presence of any pockets of air trapped in the system and any
weep against pressure that occurs in the pump or cylinder.

Properly installed and maintained, a hydraulic hand steering provides
very little or no feedback at the hand to turning forces. It feels like
power steering did on older (1960's or so) American cars, no change in
turning forces from lock to lock. Newer cars have variable ratio power
steering that gives an impression of feedback with turning forces that
increase as you get further away from the neutral position.

Mmmm...., I have a hydraulic system and I can feel the propeller blades pass
the rudder when turning and when I am in very shallow water, the steering is
much heavier. No feedback eh?

Meindert