This guy doesn't know sheet about boats. Newports are awesome boats.
I own a 68 N30. It is rock solid. Catalina is a SheetBox. the keel
is bolted on. no backing plates, under rigged, on and on . heres a
guy who took his newport to hawaii and won overall on handicap!

http://www.pacificcup.org/98/entries/Wate.html. I've owned a cal 27,
catalina 27 and a newport 30 so far and I would take the newport
anywhere I'd take the other ones.

Oh, by the way, this cork smoker recommends Ranger as a boat. Gary
Mull designed Ranger AND Newport boats

http://www.google.COM/search?hl=en&i...l+newport+sail

http://www.rocketboats.com/about/garymull.html

Talk to anyone whos owned a newport 30, and you will hear the
accolades.

It may not be an S&S, but for the price, you can NOT beat it - and
their fast as hell. Stay away from the bayliner.