Jim Donohue

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:47:55 -0800, "Jim Donohue"
wrote:

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:49:38 -0800, "Jim Donohue"
wrote:
One uses all reasonable methods available. The first and primary of
these
is GPS. Your inablity to understand this simple statement is almost
jaxian.

Wow, we're making progress. So you finally do agree with the rest of
everyone else here that, while it's fine to have GPS as a primary means
of navigation, relying totally on GPS without checking it against other
reasonable methods of navigation is foolhardy.

Bull Steve...you Luddites simply read to confirm your opinions. I have
never anywhere suggested any such thing. Did you notice that Jeff Morris
cannot even read an NTSB report without getting it wrong? The actual
conclusions do not meet his pre-conception so he simply misquotes them.
You
technophobes are all alike.

That's a shame, progress cancelled. I guess I'll take you at your word
when you claim just above that you never anywhere suggested relying
totally on GPS without checking it against other reasonable methods of
navigation is foolhardy ... even though just above that you said one
uses all reasonable methods [of navigation] available.

Ok, its true that the two statements are not exactly the same thing so
it's ok for you to say on the one hand that one uses all reasonable
methods available and on the other hand expouse that it's not foolhardy
to rely totally on GPS without checking it against other reasonable
methods. However, the fact that you are the *only* one here (as far as
I can tell) who feels that way should tell you something.

Steve

The report does not mention GPS or GPS centric in its Causals or 3 pages of
recommendations. The ship had procedures to cross check which were not
followed. They had a working LORAN showing multiple miles of differential
from the GPS. They never looked even though it was supposedly a regular
procedure. I am sure there were radar navigation discrepancies as well.
And the officiers reported the sighting of two buoys that were not there.
Sounds like a pretty high level of incompetence to me...not relying on a
single method.

Jim