otnmbrd

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:59:45 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

When they left Bermuda they had three systems available for Navigation.
GPS, Loran, Celestial.

====================================

LORAN has always been worthless in Bermuda unless something has
changed in the last 10 years that I'm not aware of. Prior to GPS we
used to lose electronic navigation about 400 miles offshore.

Worthless in what way? Accuracy or reliable signal? I ask, because that
was not my experience.
Assuming you are correct and this applied to the ship also, would you
agree that as they approached the Nantucket-Boston Safety Fairway that
Loran became useful?
I ask because it does not appear that they were having a problem with
Loran reliability at sea, but also because it's use became more
important as they approached land, if, as I say, they were GPS Centric,
when others systems could have "saved the day".

otn