Gordon Wedman

"Johnhh" wrote in message
I am looking at installing a new bellow deck autopilot on my 34' sailboat
and I'm looking for opinions.

1, Any thoughts on the pros and cons of mechanical linear drives verses
hydraulic linear drives? My understanding is that the mechanical uses
less power and give better feedback to the wheel when turned off,

2. Raymarine verses Simrad?

John

I've also read that the mechanical drive uses less power. I think this is
because the motor runs all the time with the hydraulic unit.
You will have a lot more options if you go with Raymarine. Just go to eBay
and search for Raymarine autopilot or Autohelm autopilot. Lots of new and
used systems for less $$ than Simrad. Probably an ST5000 control head and
linear drive would be good for your boat. According to the West Marine
catalogue the ST5000 is no longer manufactured so I think there are some
good buys out there on the remaining stock.