Harry Krause

Default Oil & Plug Opinions

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:16:31 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:21:01 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Yeah, there verbiage is:

"Synthetic engine oils are not recommended for use
in Crusader Engines. Synthetics may offer advantages
in cold temperature pumpability and high temperature
oxidation-resistance. However, synthetic oils have not
proven to provide operational or economic benefits over
conventional petroleum-based oils in Crusader Engines.
Their use does not permit the extension of oil change
intervals."

My issue with them is, "in a perfect world - not too hot, not too cold
synthetics just aren't necessary in our engines." Well, duh! I plan
for Murphy's Law, not Pollyanna's law of engine dynamics.... and at
the acquisition and repair costs of these engines, everyone would be
well advised to do likewise..

Oil is a helluva lot cheaper than repair and replacement.

Mercury chimes in...

MPORTANT: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other
than Quicksilver 25W-40 or a good quality 20W-40 or 20W-50), synthetic
oils, low quality oils or oils that contain solid additives are
specifically NOT recommended.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/fueloil...mendation_faqs

If you read what they have written.... they don't recommend using
*any* type of oil but a straight weight, detergent dino oil. What is
so special (and different) about their engines?

I don't understand any more about the *why* for this "recommendation"
than I understand the *why* for them calling their Quicksilver 25W-40
a multiviscosity oil... when you get past their mumblespeak that
Skipper used to post every 3 months it is obviously a single viscosity
oil.

In fact, for the first time, it appears they have slipped up and
admitted as much: "...25W-40 Marine Engine Oil. This oil is a special
blend of 25-weight and 40-weight oils..."

The service manual for my Yamaha F225 only mentions using ordinary
four-cycle engine oil, never a four-cycle oil by brand. I have not come
across any references to non-dino oil, either. And Yamaha, like every
other outboard maker, has its own private-label oils.

--
Email sent to is never read.