William R. Watt

You can't rate routes according to the ability of the traveller. For
example, the routes on a road map may be marked differently if they are
primary (paved two lane) or secondary (gravel single lane). Just because a
single lane gravel road might be "primary" for a farm tractor doesn't mean
the map should show it as a primary road.

Standards have to be objective, not subjective. When they become
subjective, like in our teacher-dominated schools, they loose their
meaning and usefulness, which is why we see university students who cannot
read and write.

If you start to rate river routes accordign to the ability of the paddler
then paddling will be controlled by so-called "certified paddling
instructors" and rivers will become like schools. Better to keep our
rivers out of their greedy grasp.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm