Wayne.B

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:39:49 -0800, "Johnhh"
wrote:

I am looking at installing a new bellow deck autopilot on my 34' sailboat
and I'm looking for opinions.

1, Any thoughts on the pros and cons of mechanical linear drives verses
hydraulic linear drives? My understanding is that the mechanical uses less
power and give better feedback to the wheel when turned off,

2. Raymarine verses Simrad?

I have a Robertson/Simrad AP-35 with the so called hydraulic linear
actuator. It seems like a pretty solid unit, and with the clutch
disengaged, it has no impact on steering whatsoever. The hydraulics
are completely integrated within the actuator so there are no external
pumps/hoses/resevoirs to be concerned with.