Didereaux

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in
:

I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I
have measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat
the measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that
the lines measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between
3/8 and 7/16 for the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less
than their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

BS

If the hardware is original. the minimum size of lines should be the
maximum size recommended for the sheave. You NEVER put smaller diameter.
Two good reasons: 1. Safety 2. handling ease. larger diameter is easier
on the hands and grips better on the winches and is held better in the
cams. One further reason is that in an emergency ALL lines may be needed
for jobs other than the ones the do normally. Always make certain that
the lines FIT the hardware and if the hardware is not original and looks
a bit light or is smaller than another piece that is original and is in
line with the suspect piece...replace the suspect.

Just because some new material allows for a decrease in line size does
not make it acceptable for any job that matches its load capacity. A
1/4" of kevlar/dacron might very well match your main halyard load
rating...but it won't match the hardware, and it sure as hell won't match
your hands!

--

"Let bygones be bygones...send a concilliatory PRETZEL to the
Whitehouse!"