Garland Gray II

Steve, I used Samson Warpspeed for my main halyard. It is a polyester cover
over a core of Dyneema, which I think is the same as Spectra. I fattened the
line where the clutch engages by inserting a small tapered "snake" inside
the core. Regardless, polyester covers everything.

"Steve" wrote in message

Rodney's points are well taken, regarding the relative small size of

Spectra/Technora for halyards. I have been considering replacing mine but

use clutches with a minimum line size of 5/16".

While Technora is available in 5/16", 13000 lb working strength would be
over kill.

I was wonder if the 1/4" Spectra/Technora could be increase in the area
normally under the clutch by inserting a section of 1/4" as a core or a
cover, seized or
using some splicing tricks.

I also observed that the Samthane UV coating of this line is rather slick
and wonder if a clutch would be able to grip it without abrading the
coating.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions