renewontime dot com

I was wonder if the 1/4" Spectra/Technora could be increase in the area
normally under the clutch by inserting a section of 1/4" as a core or a
cover, seized or
using some splicing tricks.

I also observed that the Samthane UV coating of this line is rather slick
and wonder if a clutch would be able to grip it without abrading the
coating.

I do not recommend taking single braid Spectra/Technora all the way to the
winch and clutches without a cover. On race boats, we normally started the
dacron cover a few feet before the bottom turning blocks at the base of the
mast (when the sail is fully hoisted). On cruising yachts, where wear / UV
protection is more important than saving a few pounds, I would cover the
entire length of the line. Obviously then, the way to go on a cruising
yacht is to buy double braid with a Spectra/Technora core and a dacron
cover.

I also would caution you from adding a core to a single braided line. This
is a very bad idea, and will weaken the line and increase it's chances of
wear and chafe. Also, as you noted, the coating on the line (which protects
it from UV) is slippery and was never intended for rope clutches or winches.

Something else to consider when switching from wire rope to high-tech line
are your turning blocks and masthead sheaves. Often when switching, the
sheave diameters are too small and / or the sheaves have been damaged by the
wire. If the sheaves show any sign of wear at all or if the new line seems
to be a "tight" fit, replace the sheaves. It'll save you from a trip up the
mast later, usually at the worst possible moment ;-)

--
Paul

renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com