Steve

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:19:20 -0800, "Steve" All my headsails are full
length, so I don't have that to deal with,
but I don't see any problem with it. I have been replacing wire
halyards with various HI-tech fibers, and started with a spectra core
main halyard.

I started with a working load the same as the wire, between 4 and 5000
lbs. The line was too thin for the clutches, and, over a 70-ft length
under tension, the creep was annoying, making it necessary to tighten
under way.

I changed up a size, and it works fine. It does still creep
perceptibly more than the SS did. It is barely large enough to hold
onto when hoisting, and 3/8 or 7/16 would be easier on the hands.

For a pennant, only a few feet, you can make it thick and creep won't
be noticeable. It wouldn't be noticeable even in 1/4 in line.

Rodney's points are well taken, regarding the relative small size of
Spectra/Technora for halyards. I have been considering replacing mine but I
use clutches with a minimum line size of 5/16".

While Technora is available in 5/16", 13000 lb working strength would be
over kill.

I was wonder if the 1/4" Spectra/Technora could be increase in the area
normally under the clutch by inserting a section of 1/4" as a core or a
cover, seized or
using some splicing tricks.

I also observed that the Samthane UV coating of this line is rather slick
and wonder if a clutch would be able to grip it without abrading the
coating.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions