Jim Donohue

It was a 39 foot Ericson by the name of Pneuma. Went aground coming out of
Minerva in November of 2003. Still has a web site. The details of the
grounding do not appear to have been made public. Conditions were close to
perfect.

I suspect Pneuma crew is not talking about what happened as the site is
silent on the subject. There is lots of discussion of the incident and the
rescue but little of the causals. Word at the time however was that they
were operating visually in almost perfect conditions.

Jim

"Jofra" wrote in message
Year before last we had a 38 foot sailboat enter Minerva reef by GPS.
After a couple of days decided to go out the other side via
visual...Guess what...Well they salvaged much of the equipment I
understand. Seems to me visual shortened their cruise and cost a lot of
money.

Jim Donohue

Jim

Thanks for comments Jim but not sure what point you are making. Are you
suggesting that if they had gone out of the Minerva Reef using GPS they
would still have their yacht? Possibly they would. I would like to know
more about the case. What were the conditions like, time of day, position
of the sun, cloud cover, sea conditions? Also when they went inside the
reef using GPS did they know the accuracy of the chart in relation to the
GPS?

cheers

jofra