Michael St. Angelo

If the AC or RF does not have any DC component it should not cause a
problem.

His radio (and antenna tuner) should be grounded to the hull via
capacitors,
This should create a low impedance path for the RF but block any DC.

If he powers his radio via a 12vdc power supply powered from the AC mains
the transformer would block the DC.

I assume ih will have a lightning arrestor at the antenna mount for statis
or lightning protection.
He should use a gas discharge type lightning arrestor that does not have a
DC path.

I'd to work him when he has his station set up.

Regard's

Mike N2MS

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I've got a query re galvanic corrosion and radio transmitters.

A friend of mine lives on a steel Dutch barge moored in a sal****er
marina.
He has a transformer isolated mains supply and a number of 'sacrificial
anodes' around the boat. On the boat side, the hull is isolated from his
mains wiring 'boat side'.

He plans to erect an antenna for HF use (amateur radio rather than marine
use) which, depending on the antenna type, may require an earth
connection.
From the RF point of view, using the hull (and thus the salt water) would
give him a good RF earth but he is concerned re galvanic corrosion
problems.

I'm not an expert on galvanic corrosion but my logic tells me there
shouldn't be a problem- any currents would be AC and (I believe) only a DC
differential can accelerate galvanic corrosion.

Ideas, views, comments anyone?

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk