JAXAshby

neropes thinks it is easy. you disagree?

From: "renewontime dot com"
Date: 1/22/2005 6:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Hi,

What you're talking about is what riggers refer to as a "core to core"
splice. With high tech lines (cores made of high tensile spectra, technora,
kevlar or similar and a dacron cover) the core is many times stronger than
the cover. With a "normal" double braid eye splice, the cover takes about
50% of the load. With a "core to core" splice, the core takes almost 100%
of the load. Alot of yachts "taper" the line, removing the cover except
where it will go through turning blocks and winches. On a cruising yacht,
this is not usually necessary or desired.

These splices aren't easy to do, but with some practice, a little bit of
practice and alot of patience, anyone can do it.

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=
"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Paul
Now you have given me something to think about. I have made a few
eyesplices
in core dependent double braid following Samson's instructions. This
relies
on the Chinese finger trap, although the instructions call for sewing a
lockstitch through the splice .
Whenever I get around to replacing the lifelines w/ Amsteel, I had
planned
on using the "finger trap" (with the lockstitch), but now I'll give it a
second thought. And I do wonder if the brummel doesn't put a less even

If you are eye splicing single braid Spectra by just tucking one core
into
itself (Chinese finger trap style), then you are not splicing it properly
and your splices are at risk of failure. You -must- first do a "brummel"
splice, where the line entraps itself, then tuck the core. There are
instructions on how to do this on the New England Ropes website (and
probably other sites as well).

Once you've spliced in this manner, sure you can sew the splice, or as

I've
done, use a "sailmakers whip". As you sew, be careful not to damage the
threads, sometimes a "dulled" needle works better for this.

Keep in mind, that when switching from wire to Spectra, you need to be

very
careful to protect the pennant from chafe. Using a stainless steel

thimble
(use a sailmakers thimble, -not- a wire thimble, no sharp edges) and

perhaps
covering the thimble with leather will help.

Hope this helps,

--
Paul