Steve

I stand corrected. I was thinking this line was Spectra and/or was speaking
in a general way..

I just looked it up and I believe I'm using Sampson Tech-12 or 12 strand
Technora..

Sorry I wasn't more specific (didn't check my ref.).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

wrote in message
Hi Steve,

Spectra melts very nicely, sounds like either the line is not Spectra or
has some salt on it. Once you've used any high tech line at sea, it
becomes -very- difficult to splice and/or melt. You can try to rinse the
line in fresh water and drying, but I haven't had much luck in the past.
Incidently, Kevlar and Technora -do not- melt (they singe or burn), and
the only way to properly finish the ends of the line are by whipping or a
tuck.

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=
"Steve" wrote in message
news

One thing that I noticed in my limited experience with Spectra, was that
I have difficulty cutting it with a Hot Knife and it is near impossible
to weld or seal the ends. Even a small piece of masking tape doesn't work
very well. Kinda like putting tape on teflon.

I'm wondering if the end sealing of the rope yarns shouldn't be done with
some glue, etc.

Any comments.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions