Garland Gray II

Paul
Now you have given me something to think about. I have made a few eyesplices
in core dependent double braid following Samson's instructions. This relies
on the Chinese finger trap, although the instructions call for sewing a
lockstitch through the splice .
Whenever I get around to replacing the lifelines w/ Amsteel, I had planned
on using the "finger trap" (with the lockstitch), but now I'll give it a
second thought. And I do wonder if the brummel doesn't put a less even

If you are eye splicing single braid Spectra by just tucking one core into
itself (Chinese finger trap style), then you are not splicing it properly
and your splices are at risk of failure. You -must- first do a "brummel"
splice, where the line entraps itself, then tuck the core. There are
instructions on how to do this on the New England Ropes website (and
probably other sites as well).

Once you've spliced in this manner, sure you can sew the splice, or as

I've
done, use a "sailmakers whip". As you sew, be careful not to damage the
threads, sometimes a "dulled" needle works better for this.

Keep in mind, that when switching from wire to Spectra, you need to be

very
careful to protect the pennant from chafe. Using a stainless steel

thimble
(use a sailmakers thimble, -not- a wire thimble, no sharp edges) and

perhaps
covering the thimble with leather will help.

Hope this helps,

--
Paul

renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com