Jack Erbes

Larry W4CSC wrote:
I posted a long explanation to rec.boats.cruising, but Lionheart is on her
third new Raymarine 2KW radome, the other two being eaten alive by the
awful condensation caused by the dome being "drained" instead of
"SEALED"...

That's kind of strange. Where are you located at? And are you painting
the domes or anything? Like a darker color? Or do you have a cable
that descends to the entry and may need a drip loop?

A dozen or so used 2kw radomes have passed through my hands as used
equipment in the last two years and not one was badly corroded or
rusted. Most of these spent their lives in the Northeastern U.S coastal
waters.

I have seen the aluminum covers with a surface oxidation and maybe just
starting to show a little "frosting" that won't wipe off with fresh
water. And also with light surface rust on the iron cores on the
magnetron. But nothing that affected operation and never "eaten alive"
with corrosion like you described.

If the cable entry and cover seals are intact and seated, no rain or
spray should ever enter the dome. A small amount of moisture can
accumulate from condensation and the drain and evaporation would take
care of that.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)