renewontime dot com

I'm still wondering about some method to seize or hand stitch these sleeve
type eye splices. No mention of this as a problem in the single braid
line. I have not noticed any slippage in my lifelines (although there is
some noted shrinkage in length on hot days (only slight)).

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely. Spectra is an ideal
replacement for wire rope for head sail pennants, although spectra is no
where's near as U/V or abrasion resistant as wire, it is much lighter and,
as you said, much easier to work with.

If you are eye splicing single braid Spectra by just tucking one core into
itself (Chinese finger trap style), then you are not splicing it properly
and your splices are at risk of failure. You -must- first do a "brummel"
splice, where the line entraps itself, then tuck the core. There are
instructions on how to do this on the New England Ropes website (and
probably other sites as well).

Once you've spliced in this manner, sure you can sew the splice, or as I've
done, use a "sailmakers whip". As you sew, be careful not to damage the
threads, sometimes a "dulled" needle works better for this.

Keep in mind, that when switching from wire to Spectra, you need to be very
careful to protect the pennant from chafe. Using a stainless steel thimble
(use a sailmakers thimble, -not- a wire thimble, no sharp edges) and perhaps
covering the thimble with leather will help.

Hope this helps,

--
Paul

renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com