John Gaquin

Default OT--If you're a liberal, be careful what you ask for

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

Merely by uttering the word, "Terrorist" or "Enemy Combatant", under the
Patriot Act, the Executive branch can strip any citizen of the United

States of
any and all civil rights. .....

Under the Patriot Act, there is no appeals process if the Executive Branch
decides to label you a "terrorist" or an "enemy combatant." You are simply
locked up and the key is thrown away.

Blatantly overstated and wrong on both counts, Chuck, and the recent
decision by the 2nd Circuit Appellate would seem to support me; would seem
to indicate that our system of checks and balances does, in fact, work;
that we can, in times of national need, tighten down the screws a bit in
particular places as long as we're careful to ensure that the tightened
screw does not pinch where it does not need to.

JG