Jeff Morris

Jim Donohue wrote:
Sorry Roger...but the guy is not teaching all methods...he is teaching some
version of DR and coastal. He is deliberately not teaching GPS and Loran.
So he is busily training a 1975 sailor.

Sailors in 1975 were much better navigators than today.

I would strongly hold for teaching all useful methods...but the important
ones first. In fact the first skill is the ability to read and interpret a
chart...which is I think the skill that is often missing in beginning
sailors. Then GPS. I would certainly teach DR and coastal...but as a
secondary to GPS.

That makes as much sense as teaching 4th graders how to use a calculator
assuming they will figure out long division later. If someone was
insisting on receiving no more than an hour or so of instruction before
heading out, I might be tempted to show them a GPS, but if someone wants
to learn the basic methods they should learn them first.

Further, to fully appreciate a chart you must learn the basics of
piloting. You can explain variation and bearings, but they has no
meaning to beginners until the plot LOPs.

How far do you plan to go on "teach all methods"? I can interpret and use
an old Loran with the delay numbers...but I would not teach it. Celestial
is the obvious issue. Would you teach celestial today to a prospective
cruiser? What level of celestial? The full set of star/moon techniques?
How about RDF?

These are silly comparisons. Basic DR and piloting techniques are used
all the time even in our GPS oriented world. Loran and celestial are
not. However, a few of the basics should be taught - I'm surprised at
how many people can't instantly find Polaris, or know the approximate
bearing of the rising or setting Sun or Moon.

As an aside virtually all Pacific cruisers as of a year or so ago had a
sextant on board...but virtually none had shot a positon in the last year.

Is there a point here? I'll bet that the majority of them knew the
basics of DR and piloting. Or are you claiming they don't bother
because they have faith in their GPS?