Jim Donohue

Sorry Roger...but the guy is not teaching all methods...he is teaching some
version of DR and coastal. He is deliberately not teaching GPS and Loran.
So he is busily training a 1975 sailor.

I would strongly hold for teaching all useful methods...but the important
ones first. In fact the first skill is the ability to read and interpret a
chart...which is I think the skill that is often missing in beginning
sailors. Then GPS. I would certainly teach DR and coastal...but as a
secondary to GPS.

How far do you plan to go on "teach all methods"? I can interpret and use
an old Loran with the delay numbers...but I would not teach it. Celestial
is the obvious issue. Would you teach celestial today to a prospective
cruiser? What level of celestial? The full set of star/moon techniques?
How about RDF?

As an aside virtually all Pacific cruisers as of a year or so ago had a
sextant on board...but virtually none had shot a positon in the last year.

Jim Donohue

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I beg to differ. For learning it isn't nonsense at all. Your use of "all
the tools" will be more competent and you will have back up skills for
power failure, fire that wipes out all your systems, etc. if you know how
to get around without any magic boxes. I don't think anyone is saying not
to teach or use electronics but that learning the old skills and keeping
those skills sharp is of great value. I know I'm a much better aircraft
navigator for having kept the Loran and GPS dark for the first three years
I flew the plane.

--

Roger Long

Ohh stop...what utter nonsense. Interesting navigation occurs when you
can't see anything and there is nothing for the radar to see. Then do
that