From what I read, the "opposition to Rice" is pretty inconsequential,
and is "spearheaded" by
Barbara Boxer and John Kerry. Any opposition is strictly ceremonial,
and because some lowlife rightwingers with bad intentions might decide
to play the race card in reverse, ("They couldn't possibly be opposed
to Rice on philosophical or politcal grounds, its only because she's a
woman and/or she's black....."), and because in dumbed down America
that little sound byte would resonate better than an accurate, more
complex answer- opposing Rice could take a toll when the next election
comes around.

It wouldn't even matter if liberal black people refered to her as
"Uncle Tom's Brown Rice," it's still politically dangerous to expose
ones flank to the few right wing hypocrites ready to yell "racism!"

As long as the Republicans hold congress, Bush can push anybody through
he likes. We could see Ken Lay as Secty. of the Treasury. Who knows?
He's a close friend of GWB's and we still might.