Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Electric motors and battery combinations...>>>

"Marty S." wrote in message ...
I'm looking for information about electric motors and the most efficient
battery combinations in terms of weight of adding a battery vs. the power
that going to 24volt might give me. I live in an area that doesn't allow
gas motors on its reservoirs; only electric motors, so I could only power my
12' jon boat with electric. I'd like to match up the most efficient
combination of motor size, battery, and weight. I would like to know if I
get longer run time and/or more power with a 50lb 12volt motor or a similar
sized 24volt motor? Or, would I get a better weight-power-endurance
combination getting a 36volt, 100+ lb motor??

Also, would I get more run time from 2 batteries (1 to run, and one as a
spare, i.e., "refuel") with a 12volt motor, or 2 batteries running
simultaneously on a 24volt motor?

questions, questions, questions...

I might be wrong, and this is strictly my experience speaking but I used to run a 12 volt system
long ago in a galaxy far, far away. I had a 42 pound thrust motor and I would drain the battery
dead long before I was ready to come in for the day. Then I went to two, 12 volt batteries on the
same motor and found that I could go all day without problems.

Then, I sold that boat and got one with a 24 volt system and a 60 pound thrust motor. I couldn't
believe how long I could go on a single charge! It was far longer than running the 12 volt system
with two batteries. I think that 36 volt would be overkill, but I think that if you were to get a
24 volt, 65 pound thrust system, you would be VERY pleased with the results. I believe that if you
are running a larger than needed motor, you can run it on lower settings, thus saving on batteries.
You'll have to run a lesser thrust motor on higher settings to get the same performance, and use up
the batteries faster in the process.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers