Default Radar Mounting Question

More theoretical than anything ...

A cold night's discussion evolved into: if my radar is picking up a
target (a buoy in the case of this discussion) at whatever range in a
dead fog, I'll lose it when it gets close enough to where I can
physically see it (50 yards was the distance mentioned, but you can't
see anything at 50 yds in a dead fog .. but you get the idea).

If that's the case; i.e., losing a radar target when you close on it;
is it merely the way radar works, or is the radome mounted incorrectly
or are there other variables I'm unaware of insofar as radar and
minimum range/tuning?

Thanks

Gary