Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:59:01 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

When did these incidents happen? I lived on the Cape in the late 70's
so I may be transferring the memory back to that association. When
did they start installing GPS on big ships?

Much more recent. The NTSB hearings report from the Nantucket Shoals
grounding just appeared in Professional Mariner last fall.

The QE2 grounding was in the early 90s, and the course was agreed on
by the skipper and the pilot. If the chart had been correct, squat
would not have made the ship hit anything. With the actual reef that
was(is) there, the ship would have hit no matter how slowly it was
moving.

It was an incomplete survey, pure and simple.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia