Stephen

Default Westerbeke "L-25" engine parts etc

I'm about to rebuild a Westerbeke L-25. I'd like to know where the
alternate parts supplier you mentioned below is.

Thanks,
Stephen

Bryon Kass wrote:
David Bagby wrote:

"eric r. galant" wrote:

I am looking for a good place to order/buy engine parts for a

Westerbeke
"L-25", about 1977-1978.
thanks
--

I usually had to order parts thru my local westerbeke dealer -
painful. If you are talking about any serious amount of work (like

rebuild) on an L-25, I'd suggest seriously looking at replacing the
engine rather than rebuilding the westerbeke. The L-25 is probably

the
worst engine westerbeke ever put on the market - it is a ford

cortina
gas engine block converted to desiel. I owned one for years in a
Valiant 32 - about 4 years ago it needed rings - once I priced out

the
parts necessary for a rebuild, I found that I was over 50% of the

cost
of a brand new yanmar... and I hadn't accounted for any labor yet!
And I would have still had to continue paying those damn westerbeke
parts prices (when I could find L25 parts) - I decided to repower
instead. Whether this makes sense depends on the circumstances

(don't
expect to recover the cost of a repower in resale value).

Oh well, I'm rambling, but as you can tell I really hated that L25.
You have my sympathies at least.

Dave

Like anything they are great when new but get a bad rap when they
get on in years. I have a friend who rebuilds these engines. They
are not the best diesel for a boat as you say they are a converted
gas block. The biggest complaint I have heard is that they need
to be decarboned every 1000hrs or so. Most sailboaters do not run
their engines hard enough resulting in these problems. What happened
to your old L25? My friend has one running now and is working on
another. He has found an alternative source of parts as Westerbeke
should be synonimous with proctology as their part markup is

terrible.
If you have anything left over from that L25 please let me know.
Bryon Kass
webmaster and
Custom Design
150 Mechanic St.