Garland Gray II

What I recall reading about the QE2 hitting the rock there (divers confirmed
that there was recent bottom paint scuffed on the rock, and I don't think
there was an indication that the rock had less water than the chart showed)
is that she was running at too much speed for that little clearance between
hull and sea floor. The hydrodynamic forces from speed in shallow water will
pull the stern down. I see this happen frequently, and when it does, besides
thinking about QE2, I know I'd better head to deeper water, or slow down.
I just couldn't believe the captain didn't think about this when he was
steaming along near the rock.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Yeah, the QEII (I think) ran aground about 20 years ago just off the
Elizabeth Islands on Cape Cod and in one of the most heavily traveled
areas of New England. The chart turned out to be wrong.

--

Roger Long

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.d...NYT02/50115036
0/1051/NEWS01

Not that any of us will be cruising at 30 knots 500 feet below the
surface
but navigating soly by GPS you are just as blind. Many of the
charts we use
are from surveys over 100 years old.

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or
lack
there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com