otnmbrd

Jim Donohue wrote:

Got it...3AM blowing 35...12 foot seas...Check for the disturbed waves and
current swirls...yeah right. Watch the little birds...if they land it
probably is not deep.

Still at the old game otnmbrd? Would you really reverse course under those
conditions? Would you turn the boat across the wind?

Jim Donohue

LOL I see you're still looking for the simple cure-all answer to navigation.
Sorry Jim, it doesn't exist.
You'll note I said use ALL means at your disposal. Sometimes those means
are limited due to conditions, be they visibility or sea conditions.
However, frequently there are any number of things you can look for
under many varied conditions which may help you determine that you are
"standing into danger" and your god, GPS will not tell you these things.
So, yes, I'm still up to the old games ..... if in doubt, stop, turn
around, sail across the wind, if those things are possible.
Don't keep going blindly based on a GPS fix ..../ use whatever other
tools may be available to you, be they natural, mechanical, or electronic.
Only a fool relies on one means of navigation and only a bigger fool
discards all the older methods which served and still serve, many of us
well, even if in a limited capacity.
G Maybe someday you'll learn to take your eyes off the GPS and see
what's going on around you.

otn