Wayne.B

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:55:29 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Anyone have one laying around??

=================================

No but you can basically make the fuctional equivilant by using a
double sheave fiddle with becket such as the Harken 030. You use the
becket to hang another block which becomes the 3rd sheave in a 6 part
tackle.

I'd really encourage you to rethink your mainsheet system however. I
forget how big your boat is so I have no idea how many sqft in the
mainsail. My old Cal-34 had a 300 sqft main and it was quite a
handful even with a 7 to 1 purchase, and it was also a heck of a lot
of line to handle quickly in a jibe. I have seen some multi-speed set
ups that worked reasonably well giving you a choice of either 2:1 or
8:1 purchase. See the Harken catalog for details. It is also easy to
rig a fine tune system which gives you 4:1 of coarse trim using
conventional fiddles but as much as 24:1 of fine trim control.

That said I've found simplest is really best with a port and starboard
mainsheet winches (self tailing), going to a single block on the end
of the boom via the traveler car. I'm aware that winches are
expensive but this system really works and is almost mandatory for
boats approaching 50 feet or longer.

On a final note, I'd encourage you to use line smaller than 1/2 inch
if you go to a multi-part tackle. You don't need that much line
strength on a multi-part system, and the larger line is more difficult
to work with. I used a soft 3/8 line on my Cal and it was fine.