chuck

Hello Jack,

Interesting that the link you provided doesn't even list
2182 kHz as among the Coast Guard's monitored frequencies!

Elsewhere, the CG gives the approximate range of their 2182
communications as 100 miles.

If I were pressed for advice, I would urge a vessel in
distress to use whatever communication channels were
available. Statistically, I think it might be easier for a
vessel on the high seas to reach a ham than to reach a USCG
monitoring station. You are welcome to disagree, of course,
but to carry this further, it would be appropriate for you
to show where this is wrong. Assertions to the effect that
one MUST do this or that are not likely to appeal to
boaters. Your work with the USCG is not influencing your
opinions here, I hope.

Regards,

Chuck

Jack Painter wrote:
"Doug Dotson" wrote

There are always plenty of hams listening at any time of day. Much

more reliable than trying to contact the CG.

This is the worst advise I have ever heard from an otherwise knowledgeable
person.
It is inaccurate, dangerous, and reflects only the personal opinion of a Ham
operator who is spreading misinformation about the USCG, safe boating
procedures and the priority of emergency communications at sea. Mariners
should understand and follow only approved USCG procedures for emergency
communications at sea. The great work of the Maritime Mobile Service Network
in assisting mariners via long range HF communications is NEVER to be given
priority over contact with USCG units for safety of life at sea. MMSN is a
wonderful tool for boaters who are also licensed Ham operators, and its many
operators would help ANY vessel they are able to assist. But MMSN should
only be used in an emergency as an ALTERNATE to primary USCG communications
for safety of life at sea.

See http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/cgcomms/call.htm for detailed
information.

Drill up from that URL to find details of other maritime communications
information.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, VA
Chuck that should also answer your question from this thread.