Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:02:09 -0600, wrote:

Yeah, the QEII (I think) ran aground about 20 years ago just off the
Elizabeth Islands on Cape Cod and in one of the most heavily traveled
areas of New England. The chart turned out to be wrong.

Is that the case? I heard about something similar but not a case of a
chart being wrong. A cruise liner enroute to Boston was under autopilot
but the gps lost lock for an extended period of time. During that period
the course was continued with the unit doing its own dead reckoning. By
the time it regained lock it was well off course and the new course to
the next waypoint took it over some rocks. None of the crew had noticed
the system had lost lock and all were trusting that the "gps referenced
autopilot" was safely steering the ship waypoint to waypoint. They also
did not bother to look and see that their course was now taking them
over the rocks.

Hmmm...can you spot the pattern?

A Cathay-Pacific jet out of London had an autopilot disengage after
a windshear alert while maneuvering in the terminal area last
October.
The crew saw the jet turning, but figured it was a response to the
wind-shear(??) The jet turned close by a mountain and continued
climbing, while the crew merrily concentrated on clean-up, though the
plane was near stall. When the controllers first queried the altitude
exceedence, the crew STILL thought they were responding appropriately
to a wind-shear (the w/s response CAN mandate holding attitude in a
climb, ignoring transient stall warnings).

When I sent this news report to associates, I heard back that
one of the people in that office had been on a flight with the cockpit
door open ( not a US long-haul, I'd think?) and heard the GPWS
calling "Pull up, Pull up" while the crew were argiung about
something....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK