Roger Long

That rings a bell and I think you might be right. The shoal being
shallower than charted may have been a secondary factor.

I don't think it would have been GPS in those days. Probably Loran.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
.. .
Yeah, the QEII (I think) ran aground about 20 years ago just off
the
Elizabeth Islands on Cape Cod and in one of the most heavily
traveled
areas of New England. The chart turned out to be wrong.

Is that the case? I heard about something similar but not a case of
chart being wrong. A cruise liner enroute to Boston was under
autopilot
but the gps lost lock for an extended period of time. During that
period
the course was continued with the unit doing its own dead reckoning.
By
the time it regained lock it was well off course and the new course
the next waypoint took it over some rocks. None of the crew had
noticed
the system had lost lock and all were trusting that the "gps
referenced
autopilot" was safely steering the ship waypoint to waypoint. They
also
did not bother to look and see that their course was now taking them
over the rocks.