Gordon Wedman

I'm sure this varies quite a bit. I think some designers like Perry and
Crealock checked to see how their designs were being executed. As well, I
think a boat that comes from the yard that designed it, for example
Catalina, Hunter, C&C, may be put together better than a boat from a yard
that has just bought someone's design.
In your case I think self-tapping screws would not be too unusual
considering the boat is 1974. I'm sure S&S didn't specify how the power
panel should be attached.

"engsol" wrote in message
My "new" boat is a 1974 Yankee 30 Mk III, desiged by S&S.
It's a srong hull, and a good sailing boat...so I've been told.
But what I'm finding are construction details that I've never
approve of, even being a newbie. My biggest complaint is
that things such as teak trim, power panel, etc are "held" in
place with self-tapping screws into raw fiberglass. You can
guess how well that holds. I'm planning on fitting backing
blocks.

I got to wondering...how much does the designer have to do
with the construction of a boat? To what level of detail does
the designer specifiy the construction? Does the designer
shape the hull, spec the rigging, armwave where the bunks,
head and galley go, and the implementation is left up to the
builder?

Just curious....Norm B