Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:46:29 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I thinking about rotating both the hotel loads and the rather modest
starting loads between two deep cycle batteries so the get even
service. I'm aware of the problem with leaving them both connected if
there is an electrical leak or misjudgment about usage. This wouldn't
be as serious anyway as it would on a boat with an engine too big to
hand start.

Depends on how fast you need the engine started. Say there's a drunk
in a cigarette boat (or a tanker) bearing down on you. Or the wind
died and you have a 3 knot current pushing you on the rocks 50 yards
away. It's not that you have to have a motor ready for instant use to
go sailing. It's the situations you get into because you think you
have a motor ready for instant use.

That said, I sailed for more years than I'd care to remember using the
"rhythm system" for batteries as you describe. I did flatline the
system a couple of times by forgetting to switch from BOTH after
charging but it never got me in any trouble I couldn't get out of.
Regardless, I now have an idjit-proof system I'm much happier with.

Oh, and don't forget, batteries run other things than starters. Bilge
pumps, for example.
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/