Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
I noticed that Yakima sells these L shaped things called gunwale
brackets that go on the rack to keep the canoe from sliding from side
to side. Are they any good? It seems to me it would make it harder to
get the canoe on top of the car since you would have to guide it thru
those brackets.

Yes, that's what I have. They're only an inch or so high, so it's easy to
lift it over. You can losen them without tools, so you could open them up
some before you put your canoe up and then push them in tight, if you need
to, but I never have.

I rarely tie down the front and rear unless I'm going to be driving it for
hours - between the gunwale brackets and tying the canoe to the rack bars,
it's rock solid.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/